Cowlitz County

By: Capital Injury Law

What to Do if You are Injured by an Uninsured or Unlicensed Driver in Washington State

Have you been in an accident with an uninsured or unlicensed driver? Being involved in a car accident is a stressful experience, and if the other driver is uninsured or unlicensed, it can add even more complications. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to protect yourself after an accident involving an uninsured or unlicensed driver in Washington State. Capital Injury Law is on your side to help navigate what to do when you are injured by an uninsured or unlicensed driver.

Uninsured Motorists Coverage

Washington State requires all drivers to have basic liability insurance. If the other driver in your accident does not have insurance, then your own uninsured motorist’s coverage will kick in. This coverage will pay for medical bills and other expenses related to the accident up to the limits of your policy. However, this coverage is not required so you should make sure that you are properly insured before getting behind the wheel.

If you are injured by an uninsured driver in Washington State, your first option is to pursue a claim against the at-fault party through a personal injury lawsuit. It’s important to note that there is no guarantee that you will be successful with such a claim, as the individual may not have sufficient assets or income to cover any damages awarded. 

In Washington State, every licensed vehicle owner must carry a minimum amount of auto insurance coverage which includes liability protection for bodily injury and property damage.

Uninsured or Unlicensed Driver

Navigating Injuries Caused by an Uninsured Driver in Washington State

Injuries caused by an uninsured driver, or under insured motorist (which means they do not have enough insurance coverage), you may be eligible for compensation from your own auto insurance policy under the “uninsured motorist” clause of your policy. This coverage is often referred to as “UM/UIM” (Uninsured Motorist/Under-Insured Motorist). 

It is important to note that this type of coverage does not apply if the at-fault party was driving someone else’s vehicle and did not possess their own auto insurance policy at the time of the accident. In this case, it will be necessary to pursue a third-party lawsuit against the owner of the vehicle if they can be identified and located. 

What Are the Costs Associated With Being Injured By An Uninsured Driver? 

The costs associated with being injured by an uninsured driver depend on several factors including any medical bills incurred from treatment received after the accident and lost wages resulting from taking time off work due to your injuries. The amount of compensation awarded in these types of cases also depends on whether or not there is sufficient evidence establishing fault on behalf of the other driver.

A qualified personal injury attorney can help you determine how much financial compensation could be recovered from a successful lawsuit or claim against an uninsured motorist and what legal avenues are available for recovering those funds. 

Unlicensed Drivers

If you’ve been injured in an accident with an unlicensed driver in Washington State, you may have questions about who is responsible for covering the cost of your medical bills.

If the other driver does not have a valid license, then it may be difficult for them to get insurance and thus they may not be covered for any damages or injuries caused by their negligence. In such cases, you may have no recourse but to pursue legal action against them directly or seek compensation from your own insurer through your uninsured motorist’s coverage. However, attempting to collect from someone without insurance or financial means can be difficult, so it is important to speak with an attorney from Capital Injury Law who can help advise on the best course of action in this situation.

Uninsured or Unlicensed Driver

Washington State Law for an Uninsured or Unlicensed Driver

According to Washington State law, if you are injured by an unlicensed driver who does not have any form of auto insurance coverage, then you may be able to file a lawsuit against them to recover compensation for your injuries. You may also be able to seek compensation from them through their employer’s liability insurance if they were driving on behalf of their job at the time of the accident.

Finally, if all else fails and you cannot prove negligence on behalf of another party, then you may have no choice but to rely solely on your own health insurance or personal savings to cover any additional costs associated with your injuries.  It’s important to have a personal injury law firm like Capital Injury Law looking out for your best interests.

According to the Washington State Traffic Safety Commission report, between 2016-2020 three out of four fatal automobile accidents were caused by unlicensed drivers. In addition, 68% of fatalities caused by unlicensed drivers involved excessive speed and other impairments (alcohol, drugs, etc.)

Accident Reports for an Uninsured or Unlicensed Driver

In any case involving an uninsured motorist or unlicensed driver, it is important that you file a police report as soon as possible after the incident occurs. This report will provide evidence of what happened during the accident and will be essential if you decide later on that you want to pursue legal action against the responsible party for damages sustained as a result of their negligence. Additionally, if possible, try and document any injuries with photographs as well as obtain contact information from any witnesses present at the scene of the crash who can testify on your behalf if needed.

Uninsured or Unlicensed Driver

Call Capital Injury Law to Seek Guidance After a Car Accident Injury from an Uninsured or Unlicensed Driver

It is never easy dealing with a car accident involving an uninsured motorist or unlicensed driver in Washington State; however, understanding how these types of situations work and knowing what steps to take afterwards can help ease some of the stress associated with these situations.

Be sure that your own auto insurance policy includes adequate protection for when accidents with uninsured or unlicensed drivers occur. Remember that speaking with a qualified attorney with Capital Injury Law is always recommended when dealing with these types of incidents. We will be sure that all available options are explored thoroughly before any decisions are made regarding how best to proceed legally and financially following an automobile collision with an uninsured motorist or unlicensed driver.

Don’t hesitate when you have been injured by an uninsured or unlicensed driver – call us at 360-209-3360 today!

Related Blog Posts